Total Pageviews

Friday 15 January 2010

Welcome to my blog

Hello world...

My name's is Polly (thats incase anyone actually reads this who doesn't personally know me (chances slim i reckon!)) I have been inspired to write a blog about my adventures (can you call them that, hmmm??) as a backing singer. I was inspired firstly by my sister who has a family blog and more recently by my good friend who is now au pairing in Manhattan New York..

Firstly I have a feeling there may be a lot of ramblings in here, it's what i do well and i'll eventually get back to the point i was making so just hang in there. There may also be a lot of ......'s i like them too. I will try not to overdo the !!!!!'s

Firstly I will need to introduce the key players in this blog (ie the band....)

Chris T - He's our MD (Musical Director for any un-musically inclinded readers!). I have known Chris since I was about 18 and he had a long floppy hair style.. (he doesn't have that now as you can see.)



Me and Chris are entertainment entrepreneurs on the journeys to gigs. We once created a game of bingo out of scraps of paper, thats how long the journey was. Desperate times call for desperate measures.. The most recent body parts picture game was a huge success (you know when you each draw a part of a body, hide it then pass it on to the next person and they do next body part down?) (no? well you should)

Did I also mention he has a fab voice (smooth and silky i'd say!!)


Next is Jeff who I have also known since I was 18 (he also went to my school but was older than me so I have only a vague recollection of him) He was always dressed a bit grungy if my memory serves me well. He bashes drums quite well, and there will be a special blog about the new Drum kit!!! There may also be a special blog about Jeffs changing hairstyles!! (contain that excitement people!)

(he may not like this picture but I like the look of 'bog off and leave me to my music' about it!)






Then we have Patrick who plays the bass geeetarr! He takes a good photo (lucky bugger) Patrick is quite outspoken and you always know where you are with him.. but he's also very kind and sweet, especially when he talks to his daughter.. I can't repeat a lot of what Patrick says on here...



This here is Steve L, otherwise known as Papa Loar. This man is a whizz on the guitar. I might even use the word legend, but he gets all embarrassed by such things.. I think Steve is ace, although he shocks me by some of the things he comes out with.. and i'm quite unshockable.



Steve W
This is the sax man! He's got a pair of lungs, yet when he talks you never know there was such a fiesty music machine in there.. I love our little chats, and he is kind and friendly to everyone.



Audra
She has now moved on to pastures new, but she has been a huge part of the band from when it started and we've had so many good times.. I will miss her very very much, she taught me to line up my makeup in a very organised fashion (this probably actually happened about 3 times out of 30!) I in turn taught her to be a little more care free with her things, and showed her how spilling tea is actually an art form I created!
This girl has a voice on her and I will try my best to fill her shoes (not her real shoes as she can wear extremely high ones and I can't! Ouchy )

Heres Audipops!


Drewbear
He's the sometimes menacing looking bouncer (he fends off all the screaming male fans, I wish!) and roadie and driver, but he is mainly Drewbear.



Chris L
Chris is in charge of projection, she counts along to the songs and presses important buttons to change the pictures on the screen (no click tracks here!) She is also a sneaky photographer, who can be relied upon to pop up and take your picture when you least expect it. If you ever see me smile on stage while looking offstage a bit, it's usually Chris dancing along to the backing singer moves!!

This is how I usually see Chris!


Paul
Is our sound man and bless him he has a lot to deal with when we arrive at venues, and also before we get there! It's hard to get a picture of Paul as he's always rushing around and looking a bit stressed.. I will try to get some more cheerful pictures on him!

Here is Paul looking quite happy!


Glenn Povey
Still to come is Glenn (I like to call him Glenda in my head, rolls off the tongue rather nicely, he has also been called Laurance, and headmaster. He is our manager, so i'd better be very nice about him... He's very handsome and charming and.... he has a baseball bat that we all bought him (spinal tap reference) He also says 'I don't belieeeeeve it' a lot but not like Victor Meldrew! Jeff does a good impression of it! Patch's come second if I was giving out impression awards here!



Wendy is our merchandising lady and she's very enthusiastic about the band (her man is Chris btw) She is always Jolly and happy and drives for miles to sell her feathers/hair things/handbags and then drops in on where we're playing..
Here is Wendy (stolen from her facebook!)



Jamie Trant - Lighting Technician
Picture to follow

Star of some of our shows!!

The laser machine.


what the lasers look like from out front!!

3 comments:

  1. Well I was at the artrix on Fri 22nd Jan and I thought the gig was brill !!

    Without giving anything away , I remember "Animals" being released ( I still have the vinyl !! ) and Friday took me right back to that decade.

    Keep up the good work guys. There is something very timeless about Floyd's stuff ( think it has something to do with the resilience of truth or something equally philosophical like that )

    Excellent tribute to Sid.

    I would definitely go again and recommend to a friend ( if I can find one !! )

    Thought Polly's "Great Gig" was superb.

    Comfortably Numb was the only way to end the evening and was completely moving.

    I admit to some of the audience participation at certain points ( resisted the urge to shout the popular but utterly meaningless 70's cry of "Wally" )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to get to see the band at the O2. They were brilliant. Power to you all.
    Mr Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Wendy's Dad Pete. I've only been lucky enough to see the band twice at The Palace Theatre, Paignton, Devon. I'm really looking forward to seeing you all at "The Princess Theatre" Torquay on 19th June, my Mrs birthday! I have to look after her 24/7-365 days of the year, otherwise I would be on the road following you guys!!! "Break a leg" (not Patch)Well done Polly! Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete